[nmr-users] login1 and login2

Milo Westler milo at nmrfam.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 21 20:52:23 CDT 2010

Hi,
login1.nmrfam.wisc.edu or login2.nmrfam.wisc.edu are (and have been)
the official login sites for NMRFAM. We have recently changed the
computers associated with these addresses. Everything should behave as
it did before, however, do not be surprised if you see nimari or
nelore at the shell prompt instead of hereford or hereland. You should
still be able to cd /banyo2 or whatever you did before.

If you have logged on before to login1 or login2, you might see a
scary message that the end of the world is coming, such as:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@       WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED!          @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
The RSA host key for login2.nmrfam.wisc.edu has changed,
and the key for the according IP address 144.92.4.180
is unchanged. This could either mean that
DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
and its host key have changed at the same time.
Offending key for IP in /home/milo/.ssh/known_hosts:45
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.

You should ignore this. On linux you can get rid of it by removing the
offending address in your .ssh/known_hosts file. Note the line that I
received "Offending key for IP in /home/milo/.ssh/known_hosts:45" I
deleted line 45 from my known_hosts file to fix it. I am sure that
MACs and windows ssh clients will complain in a similar way.

If you have any problems let me know.

--
-- Milo
National Magnetic Resonance Facility at Madison

W. Milo Westler, Ph.D.

NMRFAM Director
Senior Scientist
       and